Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Psalm 86 - Answers

This psalm became my prayer when I received the news my grandmother was diagnosed with cancer. A year later I read it over her in the hospital when she was nearing the end of her life. Its simple yet powerful truths help the believer face any level of trial throughout their life. From a bad hair day to a bad health diagnosis God promises if we call on Him, He will answer. His character described here is so comforting to our broken hearts and lives. He is forgiving. He is good. He is abounding in love. He is great and does marvelous deeds. He is compassionate. He is gracious. He is slow to anger. He is faithful. Is He these things to you? All the attributes of His character make Him trustworthy to depend on for our lives. Verses 11-13 is a great prayer of petition and praise. You can use this model of prayer to write you own prayer and personal applications.
V11 Teach me your way O Lord. Where are you struggling with a decision or how to do something? Do you need taught to be a better wife, friend, mother?
V11 And I will walk in your truth. Is there something where you know what is right but you need the strength and courage to walk the walk. Does you need to forgive someone, do you need to stop going there or buying that?
V11 Give me an undivided heart. What competes with God for your heart? What other sources do you go to for love, happiness, comfort, justice? Will you stop breaking your heart and give it wholly to God?
V11 That I might fear your name. Do you fear God above all things? Can you trust Him with the direction of your life, your finances, your family, your time?
V12 I will praise you, O Lord my God, with all my heart. Do you praise him or complain to him. Does your whole heart find reason for gratitude or do you leave room for discontent? Do you praise Him for bad situations trusting they are for your good not harm allowing them to draw you closer to Him?
V12 I will glorify your name forever. Do you take credit for things you do or do you give God the all glory? Do you look for the way to glorify Him even in difficult circumstances?
V13 For great is your love toward me. Do you really believe He loves you? Do you count the ways? Do you bask in His love and soak in his love letters to you from the Scriptures?
V13 You have delivered me form the depths of the grave. Do you realize not even death has a claim on you anymore? Nothing can separate you from his love not even death. No trial can over take you, you've been saved and he will continue to deliver you for His glory. Can you recall and praise him for the way He has cared for you throughout your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment