Friday, July 15, 2011

Psalm 57 Comfort in His Wings

Last night I pulled into my Mom's condo for a night at her house. I was surprised to see a little baby bird perched right under the front porch...just looking at us. I said "Jonah! go see the bird but don't touch it!"( I knew he would if I didn't tell him...a few weeks ago he was petting and holding baby squirrels) The bird was so cute but also such a sad picture. For we all know that a baby bird out on his own means something. There's a pretty good chance that the bird may not make it. For he has left the shadow of his mother's wings.
Psalm 57 starts off with "Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge . I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed." What a comforting verse to read. When I think of taking refuge in the shadow of wings--I think of full coverage--like hovering under the most gigantic umbrella there is--watching the storm all around me--but not getting a drop of water on me. This is how we should think of God today--he is our comfort and shelter in times of storms.
How can we literally feel this though? How do you? I know I feel it when I read it. I can feel God's loving umbrella protecting me. David goes on to say that he "will sing and make music. Awake, my soul!" I think this Psalm ends in the way of reminding us to awake! and sing out to God. This is one way we can relish in the comfort of his wings...when our soul sings out to our heavenly father. We may suddenly feel that this is what we were created to be doing...singing out to God! And possibly we need to return to our "our nest"...go back to God and let his comforting wing protect you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment