Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Psalm 41 Abandonment

I can't imagine anything worse then being abandoned by friends and loved ones when you really need them. When you are on your death bed, in divorce court or moving across the country. But I know it happens. I watch it happen and I have been a victim. I have seen it happen with my own Mother; her father has told her from the beginning that he never wanted her. My father left when I need him most at 16. Even I may walk away from a friend in need because it's "too hard" or "I don't know what to say."
The Bible tells us this will happen. Jesus was betrayed by one of his own. "Even my close friend, who I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted up his heel against me." vs 9. Judas was a trusted treasurer and friend of Jesus. In the end, he chose a few minutes of earthly wealth and fame over a friend.
It stings. Being betrayed, feeling abandoned, feeling alone--hurts to the core. But we have HOPE, hope in the Lord. Psalm 41 reminds us that the "Lord delivers, protects, sustains, restores, is merciful, raises me up, upholds me and is pleased with me." Amen to that!!! Let's soak of up those promises and pass them along to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment