Monday, July 4, 2011

PSALM 37: Feeling Right

Is anyone reading our commentaries on the PSALMS? Just curious :)
Okay...Psalm 37 vividly contrasts the wicked from the righteous. What is righteousness? What is being righteous? Pastor Coffey explained righteousness as "feeling right in God's sight"... Instead of wanting others to make me feel right. If my husband doesn't make me feel "right"....I might have a fit. If my friends make me feel any other way then "right" I might not want to be friends with them anymore. How twisted is that!? But then again, who doesn't want to be right? When I write about this I realize how backwards it is. And how I need scripture to remind me of my sin.
Psalm 37 is begging us over and over again to remain as the righteous. David is reminding us that the wicked will be cut off, laughed at, will perish, vanish like smoke, wither away, will pierce their own hearts, pass away and be no more! That sounds like a list I want to stay away from. But when we allow everyone else to tell us we are "right" instead of God--aren't we acting like the wicked? Isn't it tempting at times to look around at others that may be flourishing and be a tad bit jealous? David says "I have seen a wicked and ruthless man flourishing like a green tree in native soil, but he soon passed away and was no more. Though I looked for him, he could not be found." Vs. 35-36.
God's word reminds us everyday what is TRUE, EVERLASTING and REAL. Don't be tempted today to look elsewhere and for someone else to fill up your "righteousness tank" to satisfy your thirsty soul. Drink from the source that gives us our true righteousness!

No comments:

Post a Comment