Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Psalm 69 I have your glasses!

"Save me O God for the waters have come up to my neck!" vs 1. My bible commentary tells me that this is the most quoted psalms in the New Testament. This gives us a clear description of how David is intensely worn out--he is about to go under and needs God to desperately answer his plea for help.
I have never been afraid of the water. I grew up swimming in the wild waves of the Atlantic ocean; life guarded as a teenager and love to be in and around water on any given sunny day. But a few years ago I was swimming in a lake with my nieces. They were probably 6 and 7 at the time and we decided to take a row-boat out to the sand bar where the guys were playing Frisbee. So we rowed out there...made it to the sand bar...played around and then decided we should swim back. So I put my one niece on my back (first mistake) and said "let's go!" Within my first few steps away from the sand bar I was quickly in deep water. My niece is hanging on to me for dear life and pushing me under water. I hear her saying "I have your sunglasses...don't worry Aunt Didi!" And I'm not wanting to instill panic in the situation so I tried to remain calm...but my head was going in and out of the water. It was like slow motion drowning w hile watching the guys throw the Frisbee and the in-laws frolicking in the row boat. In between gulps of water I'm yelling HELP!!!! Finally, my in-laws see me struggling with my niece clamouring all over me and they come and grab Lydia off of me.
It was my first experience with the danger of the water. I had no business trying to swim back to shore with my niece attached to me...and I have never experienced the danger of the water. When the waters were up to my neck I cried out and received the help I needed. Like this illustration of a savior coming--God is also coming to you. He will save you--before you drown. Let the savior come...pluck off your sin...and allow you to rise above the waters!

No comments:

Post a Comment