Monday, July 11, 2011

Psalm 49

I was raised in a plethora of economic ups and downs. I remember being little and my mom only ordering one foot-long hot dog at the Rootbeer Stand and splitting it four ways--because that was all the money we had. I remember my mom sharing with me that when we were babies (I have two brothers) that we were the family to have received the "turkey basket" from the local church because....we didn't have the resources to have an American Thanksgiving dinner. And then came along the promotions and job locations and move on the horizon every few years--and my Dad slowly climbing the corporate ladder to what ended our landing in Hudson, Ohio. Which--as most of you know--is quite the opposite of sharing one foot-long hot dog four ways!
As a teenager I started resenting money. I didn't like what I saw it doing to my family. Sure, we had money for new wardrobes every season and Hawaii vacations and new cars--but we didn't seem like a family anymore. Time wasn't spent laughing and crying and working together anymore--time was spent separate, alone, in our rooms enjoying our "new stuff."
Psalm 49 is a clear reminder to not trust in our wealth or boast of great riches; they leave their wealth to others...to not be "overawed when a man grows rich, when the splendor of his house increases; for he will take nothing with him when he dies, his splendor will not descend with him." vs. 16-17. The remaining verses go on to mention that though he seemed blessed and men praised him when he prospered--he will NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF LIFE.
I know that what the Bible says is true--but isn't it tempting to look elsewhere for our satisfaction? To think that we need more to be more? Let' s humble ourselves today, thank the Lord for the amazing blessings we already have and live in true peace and contentment that the life we are in is the one where we will see the light of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment