Sunday, July 24, 2011

Psalm 79 Statistics

Statistics are sometimes fun to study. I like looking at the probability of what could happen or the chances of something not happening. I like the "factualness" of it all...and knowing the numbers are based upon true evidence. For instance. everyone hears that 50% of marriages fail. This is a statistic that is pretty clear cut. Children who come from a divorced family possibly have up to a 200% chance of getting a divorce once they are married (if both come from a divorced home). I don't know about you...but that is frightening evidence.
When I was in Bible college I had a professor proclaim victory over me. I was telling him about my family and how most all of my aunts/uncles/grandparents and parents were all divorced. I was feeling a bit doomed--but also looking for some wise advice. He told me the best thing I could have ever heard. He said "Didi, you are going to break the family cycle of divorce...You are going to marry a godly man and start a new legacy." I swallowed that truth and live by it every day (or the days that times get tough!) I want to start a new legacy. Psalm 79:8 says "Do not hold against us the sins of the fathers; may your mercy come quickly to meet us, for we are in desperate need." I wanted God's mercy in my life and I didn't want the curse of divorce to continue to follow me.
Whatever you may feel cursed with....give it to the Lord. Let Him start new with you and have a fresh beginning. Listen to godly men and women who can speak wisdom into your soul--drink it in and believe it! Then...you will have the courage and the power from the Lord to live the change that you want to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment