Sunday, July 17, 2011

Psalm 66 - Ruin or Refocus

Does a bad situation ruin or refocus your day? When a day just isn't going smooth do you evaluate if it is because you keep jerking the steering wheel out of God's hands? Do you look at what God is doing or what He is NOT doing? Keeping perspective will determine your attitude more than the circumstance itself. I was just in an accident on the freeway. My account could read either way. "Ugh, I got in an accident, what a pain in the butt it wasn't even my fault. It was so hot waiting, Brooke was freaking out, and then we were late getting home. I had Bible Study at my house the next morning so I was so tired and unprepared for that. I don't know why God would do that to me!" OR "I got in an accident and praise the Lord no one was hurt and it wasn't any worse. We had a storage box on our hitch which really saved us from a worse impact and more damage. Thankfully we were at the end of our vacation, in the company car and close to Jared's work. The cop was really nice and didn't give anyone a ticket. I had Bible Study in the morning at my house but it was amazing because I was able to empty myself and totally depend on God for everything. The babysitter showed up, friends brought food, and the Spirit lead me and energized me despite my lack of sleep. I can really say He protected and sustained me in that situation. Praise God!" Same account with different attitude. One focusing on the negatives, one praising God for His goodness. It is more than looking for positive it is looking for God's goodness and mercy in situations. When He brings us through trials of any kind, He promises to restore us abundantly. That will give us the hope in every situation that God is seeing us through and will redeem every situation if we trust in Him. Will you praise Him today for His awesome deeds and great power in your life?


Psalm 66 Questions -

1. How does nature shout, sing and praise God?

2. Will you say or write in your own words verses 3-4 with examples from your own life?

3. Read or recall some Old Testament history that display God's awesome power on Israel's behalf. Are you able to teach them to your children or are you relying on Sunday school for their history lesson of God's faithfulness to his people?

4. How does Moses crossing of the Red Sea foreshadow the salvation that came through Jesus? What impossible obstacle is before you? Does it feel like God lead you there but with no way out? Will you trust God to handle the details?

5. Do you let your praises and thanks to God be heard by others?

6. Do you look at the things God did or didn't do in a circumstance. Does a bad situation ruin or refocus your day?

7. Does God allow or cause bad things to happen?

8. What makes something a bad thing? Do you trust that God can redeem or use every bad situation for good.

9. What is the difference between God's discipline of his people and punishment of the wicked?

10. When God leads us through a trial where do we end up?

11. Recall the Old Testament story when God brought Shadrach Meshach and Abednego out of the fiery furnace. If God can deliver them from literal fire, he can deliver you from the heat in your life. Recall Noah and the flood, if God can protect them through a literal flood, he can protect and keep you when life gets overwhelming. How do these stories foreshadow Jesus's salvation?

12. What does abundance mean?

13. Do you have a pet or cherished sin in you heart? Something you know you can't do but enjoy wishing you could or if things were different? Will you ask for God's help to remove that desire so it doesn't hinder your communication with Him?


No comments:

Post a Comment