Monday, August 1, 2011

Psalm 98 - Invite a friend

We sing for joy at the salvation that has been made known through Jesus Christ and we sing for joy in anticipation of his return and final judgement. As a child I was afraid of Christ's promised return because I was unsure if I was really really really saved and I wanted him to wait until I had lived my life out a little. At least until after my first kiss, college, getting married and having kids. But as I became more sure of His goodness and grace and of my own failures I want to be made whole again and be completely reconciled to God to experience the fullness of his love. I've lived life out enough to realize first kisses only break hearts, education and career didn't completely satisfy, in marriage the honeymoon ends and kids, well they show me my brokenness and need for God more than anything. Final judgement doesn't need to be dreaded if you have exchanged your unrighteousness for Christ's righteousness. There is nothing on this earth that we can do or see or know that is more than we will be able to do with God in heaven. There is nothing on this earth worth sticking around for except to help the lost be found. Our pursuits of happiness here in this world will be completely trumped by our forever in heaven. Spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ should be our main aim in life, our purpose and God's will for our life is to live a life for Him so that others may know and accept Christ too. It isn't just for our own benefit. He gives us gifts and talents for His glory not our own so others will see a good work in your life and want the same in theirs. You can't take the things of this world with you when you die but you can invite a friend. Who needs to hear the good news in your life today?
Psalm 98 Questions -
1. What new song has He given you to sing? What marvelous things has he done for you? What is holy salvation?
2. Who is God's means of salvation and righteousness?
3. How did He make is salvation known to you? Who can you share that story of faith with today? Does your children know the story of your salvation?
4. Is your shouts and singing audible?
5. Do you get out to enjoy nature's song to God? Look for ways nature is glorifying God today.
6. Do you look forward to Jesus's return and final judgement? Why or why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment