Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Psalm 131 Storms of life

"I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me. But I have stilled and quited my soul..."
This verse really spoke to me today in psalms 131. How many times do I want to figure it all out--know my life story, know what tomorrow holds? But I don't and I can't and I have to surrender the need for control. To not concern yourself with great matters and to be still and quiet shows a sweet heart of contentment. To be okay with "what is". To not throw up your hands in anger or ask God WHY!?!!? How about asking God... Why Not? How about saying "Lord, through this let me bless you."
Yesterday I decided to take my boys on a bike ride. It was a beautiful day out and Jonah has some new wheels--so we went a lot further then I had anticipated and biked to the park. We had a great time getting there and a lot of fun playing. However, the clouds above were looking dark and I decided to cut the play time short and head home. We didn't even make it out of the park parking lot before it started pouring down rain. We quickly turned around and ran for shelter under one of the slides. For some reason Jonah had a hard time with this. I'm not sure why but he did not like being out in the thunder storm! Then I looked over to the baby in my arms and he was licking the water, smiling from ear to ear and jumping in my arms as if we were having the most fabulous time ever. I chuckled to myself at the way my two sons handled the storm. I had to be patient and loving with the one who was having a difficult time but I also wanted to relish the moment of Grady laughing and enjoying the rain. I was able to talk with Jonah about how the storms of life will come--and it's not a question of WHY? But rather a response of WHY NOT? (i'm not sure he understood what I was saying though) Why not me Lord. Let me go through this storm if I can come out of it knowing you more...and even better licking the rain and jumping for joy!
So today--Do not concern yourself with great matters of things too wonderful for you. Instead--sit before the Lord with a still and quiet soul. I promise you--He will reveal himself to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment