Monday, August 22, 2011

Psalm 133 Facing the floodwaters

Recently at family camp the main speaker for the adults was excellent. On the last night of camp he talked about the story in Joshua about crossing the Jordan river. The psalms are full of old testament recollections and God's faithfulness. The pastor was speaking on when facing the floodwater's of life. The three truths he gave us were:
1. God's people needed reminded that The Lord goes before them
2. The Israelites discovered that God worked in ways that they couldn't understand and in places they couldn't see.
3. They successfully navigated the Jordan only in the context of community.
Little did I know that the next week of my life--I would be facing the floodwater's. I had some tragic news handed to me...and I had to cross my own Jordan river. These truths came to life though. I did know that the Lord went before me. He knew the news I was going to receive and He had prepared me. The second truth rings soooo true. I didn't understand and I couldn't see what God was doing. But number three rang the loudest--I couldn't have crossed my Jordan river without community. My phone buzzed constantly for days with words of encouragement, songs of prayer and friends delivering hope. I felt surrounded by love. My natural tendency was to withdraw--and believe me...I did. But I know that I can't do it on my own--and neither can you. We need community--we need to cross the Jordan together. Jesus didn't do it by himself! He called out to his Peter, James and John to pray with him the night he sweat blood and tears. So as psalm 133 says--that it is good and pleasant to live together in unity--let's all be there for one another. Let's cross through the floodwater's together. Let's make sure we are looking out for those in need--and even carry them through if need be.

No comments:

Post a Comment