Monday, August 8, 2011

Psalm 99 Families that camp together...Stay together



This week I am at family camp. You might think--what is family camp!? I know that was what I used to think. The first time I came out here I was shocked. This is what John’s family loves to do? And...this was their “vacation” growing up?! His parents have a small one bedroom cottage with no running water on the camp ground. Actually, we hook up the hose to the make-shift sink so you can wash some dishes and brush your teeth. It is rustic and filled with antiques and memories. However, I have grown to have fond thoughts and feelings about Bay Shore family camp. Think about it--when we go to camp--we come back feeling “high” and excited about the Lord. But no one else experienced what we experienced. Especially our parents! But at family camp--every person of the family is being ministered to in their age appropriate way. Jonah runs off to his class...he is in the Kiddie Campers class morning and night and learning more then I could ever dream of teaching him. Then he runs around the campground riding trains, going for canoe rides, getting ice cream every night for 50cents, sitting on his Grandma’s lap during the evening worship time and becoming best buds with his cousin Jack. What could be better!? It is a joy being at camp with my family, rocking on the front porch chatting with second cousins and great aunts and uncles and growing in the Lord together.

This year at camp they are celebrating their 100th year. It is special to John’s Mom because she has been a camper here for over 60 years. They are looking at God’s faithfulness and treasuring the memories of God’s faithfulness. Psalm 99 says “Let them praise your great and awesome name!” That is what we are doing this week--praising God’s great and awesome name. And after all--it is my 10th anniversary today and I know it is God’s grace and truth that we are at this place. I thank the Lord today and will praise his name. What are you praising his name for today?


No comments:

Post a Comment