Thursday, August 11, 2011

Psalm 109 It’s share time!



Psalm 109 is about crying out to God and telling him our thoughts and feelings. We can tell God our true feelings and desires. David is raw in this chapter--You can tell he is so angry against the ones that are falsely accusing him.

I think sometimes as believers we try to monitor what we say and feel. We want to look a certain way or have someone think of us more highly then we are. But isn’t it refreshing when someone is downright raw with you? Don’t you think God appreciates this from us? He wants to hear your heart--your anger--your fears--your joys and your sadness. I am the first one to be guilty of hiding my feelings. Funny that I am a counselor and I expect people to come and open up to me--but it’s one of the hardest things for me to do or feel safe while sharing. I’m not sure why--it’s not like I have some awful memory of shared sentiments shouted off the roof-top. I guess it’s just who I am...and it’s not always a characteristic that I am proud of. Jesse mentioned this past week about letting God change “who we are”...not just chalking it up to “That’s just how I am!” What a challenge. And who I am is also rubbed off on the people I am with. If I want people to be open with me...then I don’t need to be vulnerable? If I want students to feel comfortable...don’t I need to feel comfortable with myself? If I want my children to feel free to share their feelings--I need to foster an environment that that is easily done. After all--David as a man of God cried out to God. He vented his deepest sorrows and anger--and now billions of people are reading about how to share their feelings through his example. Don’t be afraid to let it out--especially to our heavenly father who listens and cares more then anyone!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, this was vulnerable! Thanks for being real and trusting in God to be the person He is molding you to be.

    ReplyDelete