Thursday, June 23, 2011

Psalm 17 - Oink

So just call me piggy, and not because my nose scrunches in pictures but because I am a lot like a pig in my spiritual walk. Pigs are an interesting farm animal because they can turn from domesticated to feral within a matter of months being introduced into the wild. No other tame animal has such a transformation once it is out of the boundaries and care of the farmer. They will get hairy, grow tusks and get aggressive. Pigs are scavengers by nature, adapt well to their environment, and can survive on their own but usually in a destructive and dangerous manner. Verse 14 says that God stills the hunger of those He cherishes, that sons have plenty and that they are able to store up wealth for their children. A satisfied pig stays in his pen and contently wallows in the mud and generations of that pig can enjoy the same benefits. But when we don't seek to get fed from the Lord and receive satisfaction for all our needs from him we start to act like discontent pigs. We break down our fences, leave the fold of protection and begin to root in the wild for things that will only keep us alive but never thrive. Life is never as peaceful, we will always be searching for the next meal and competing with our fellow wild swine for the same limited resources. When those resources are used up it only pushes us deeper into the wild to search for more. We like the pigs will start to get a little more aggressive and a little more bristly. Perhaps we even start to grow tusks to defend ourselves from others or to fight for more. I got a little feral today, I didn't go to the Farmer/God for my first meal and throughout the day I felt myself getting a little bristly. Even though my walk looked nothing like the first 5 verses I was able to claim verse 6. When I call, He answers. He shows his love and saves me when I take refuge in him. Only God can offer you the satisfactions of life. Are you going to the farmer for your needs or have you escaped the pen? Will you return your heart time him now?
Psalm 17 Questions-
1. Are your prayers righteous or are they motivated with with self interest?
2. Is your moral living an effort to obligate God to you? Do you think you earn His favor by your efforts?
3. Have you ever been in a quarrel? There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, theirs and the truth. God's eyes see what is right and will handle justice. Do you ask God to see His side of the story or do you ask Him to see yours? Will you trust your quarrel to the Righteous Judge?
4. Fill in the blank or rewrite verse 6 in your own words. Show me your love, save me from ________. I take refuge from my enemies in you.
5. Examine verse 14. What does it mean to be a man of this world whose reward is in this life? Why do we need saving from such men, why do they attack?
6. God promises abundance that spills over into our children if we are fed by the Lord for our needs. Therefore if you want to invest in your children's future teach them to be satisfied in the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment