Saturday, September 3, 2011

Psalm 144 - A better mom

This psalm has a lot in it but what is sticking out to me is the language directed at me as a parent. God trains my hands for war and fingers for battle. Not against my kids but for my kids. I have been given talents and go through training for big hand tasks and for detailed finger work. God is my example as a loving parent and He is my fortress because alone I am so weak. He is my stronghold when I want to give up and give in to their whims to watch or participate in worldly things. He is my deliver when I am in need. He is my shield when things start flying at me from all directions and I can take refuge in Him as the chaos swirls around me. He can subdue the peoples under me, He has given me authority over my kids but He also has the power to subdue them when they are out of control so I don't have to fight the endless fight with them. Yesterday Brooke threw a gigantic tantrum in the grocery store, I continued to pray for wisdom and patience but I missed praying for her. That her heart would be calmed, that she would feel loved and secure enough not to need to seek attention this way and that she would have a submissive heart to authority. Verses 3-4 remind me that my life is a breath but so are my kids lives. I don't want regrets, I might not see tomorrow to tuck them in to bed or get another hug. I need to live my life like today is my last day everyday. Or worse yet, it could be their last day and I will have a lifetime filled with regret for not cherishing their few breaths on this earth. I beg God for verses 5-8 to happen, for Him to come down from Heaven and wipe out the enemies that attack my kids. That He would deliver and rescue them from the mighty waters of life and the tears that well up and flood out of their eyes. That they would be protect from lies and deceit and that God would give them discernment to recognize truth. Verses 9 and 10 emphasize again the importance of voicing the testimonies God has given us. God enabled David to be a skilled musician on a complex instrument but it took years of preparation and practice to reach the level that he was at to compose such music. Our gifts and talents rarely develop overnight and may take years to achieve and a life time to maintain. Our life testimony will be full of victories and ways God delivers us, use the talents and situations in your life to share God with others. David asks for deliverance and rescue again on behalf of the sons and daughters so that they may be successful. So that sons will be like well-nurtured plants. What is a well nurtured plant like? Healthy, fruitful, beautiful, productive are just some ways I would describe a well tended plant. But the key is well tended, the most successful plants are those who are cared for by a master gardener. The daughters will be like pillars carved with detail and thought, beautiful enough to adorn a palace fit for the King of Kings. My daughter almost got us kicked out of a grocery store yesterday yet I am part of the process that will carve her into a beautiful and strong pillar that will be admired and relied on in Gods palace. We are promised provisions, increase of wealth and safety from captivity. Some may see this literally in their life times or for a portion of it but we are all guaranteed this spiritually and eternally. How can you pray this psalm for your life today?

1.How does this chapter speak to you on being a parent?
2. Is your ideas of God rock solid or are they soft and change with circumstances? Do you recognize His as good and caring in times of trial and of blessings?
3. Hands are trained with tools, fingers are trained for detailed and precise tasks. How is God preparing you? What are your tools God has given you to fight the battles against the enemy? What kind of details are you good at handling?
4. Do you have people under your authority at work or at home who you can ask God to subdue instead of fighting an endless battle? Can you ask to find refuge from their emotional drain?
5. Take time to notice shadows today. Ask God to point out the meaning of your life.
6. Are you still trying to save yourself and fix your own problems or have you asked God to come down to rescue and deliver?

No comments:

Post a Comment